Fr. Jurgen Liias shepherded the Community of St. Gregory the Great from the Autumn of 2010 when he gathered a group to explore the meaning of the newly-promulgated Apostolic Constitution Anglicanorum Cœtibus until his retirement as Pastor, celebrating his last Mass with us on October 16, 2016.
Fr. Liias played a pivotal role in the history of the community as described here. Fr. Liias’ was ordained to the diaconate on March 23rd, 2013 and to the priesthood on April 20th, 2013. He continues as a parish priest at St. Patrick’s Church in Stoneham and remains available to the members of the Community of St. Gregory the Great.
He appeared on “The Journey Home” on EWTN, The Coming Home Network. He detailed his spiritual autobiography on his blog, part 1 and part 2.
Fr. Liias published an article, “New Evangelization and Ecumenism,” in Homilectic & Pastoral Review, America’s foremost pastoral publication.
Here are some articles about Fr. Liias:
- Wicked Local Beverly — Local Episcopalian becomes Catholic priest, seeks Christian unity – 4.26.13
- The Boston Pilot — Former Episcopalian minister ordained Catholic priest – 4.26.13
- Cardinal Seán’s Blog — Fr. Liias’ Ordination – 4.26.13
- Catholic Exchange — Why Catholicism? A Former Episcopalian Priest’s Story – 9.19.13
- The Deacon’s Bench — Episcopal priest will convert, but without his wife – 8.14.12
- Foolishness to the World — The Ordination of Fr. Jurgen Liias – 4.22.13
- Ready Writers — Exploring Entrance in the Ordinariate – 6.3.11
- Salem News — A step toward unity – 4.22.13
- Salem News — Local Episcopal priest to convert to Catholicism – 8.13.12
- Wicked Local Melrose — Melrose Episcopalian becomes Catholic priest, seeks Christian unity – 4.26.13
Here are some videos and an article with a podcast:
- Mass Citizens for Life, Inc. (video) — Fr. Jurgen Liias, Why We Are Pro-Life, Part 1 – 8.12.13
- YouTube video — Jurgen Liias’ Welcome Message for the Ordinariate Community of St. Gregory the Great – 12.27.12
- YouTube video — Jurgen Liias’ Reception into Full Communion – 8.15.12
- The Good Catholic Life (article and podcast)— Fr. Jurgen Liias and the Anglican Ordinariate – 7.16.12
Fr. Liias formulated our Parish Discipline, which incorporates the Joys, Privileges, and Disciplines of the Catholic Christian Life. Father Liias, always said the Church is not a cruise ship, but a freighter: no passengers, all crew! We try to actively embody the Apostolate of the Laity in all aspects of our communal life. As Father Liias said, the parish disciplines are not conceived or presented as legalistic requirements but rather as means by which Grace may flow into and through us to support and enlarge the Kingdom of God.